To amend a return previously filed in UltraTax CS, follow the steps below. If the original return was not completed using UltraTax CS, see the Important Notes.
- Prior to completing an amended return, you may decide to create a copy of your original return. To make a copy of your client, open your client in UltraTax CS, choose File > Save As and modify the client ID to create a duplicate return.
- On Screen Amend, mark X in the checkbox titled Transfer original information. At this time, the client’s originally reported info will be transferred to Screen Amend. Originally reported info is defined here as the info contained in the return the last time it was printed. If UltraTax CS does not automatically transfer the original return data into this screen because the return has not been printed, then unmark the Transfer original information checkbox, choose File > Preview, close the preview, return to Screen Amend, and re-mark the Transfer original information checkbox.
- Important notes!
- Amounts entered on Screen Amend are the originally reported figures, not the newly changed amounts
- If you are amending a state return, open the state’s Screen Amend, located in the state’s General folder, and mark the Transfer original information checkbox. This step must be completed before moving on to Step 3
- If you did not complete the original return in UltraTax CS, you can manually enter original figures in the federal and state Screens Amend.
- Scroll down to the bottom of Screen Amend and enter in the Explanation of changes.
- Once the above steps have been completed, return to the regular input screens to enter the changes. For example, if your client received another W-2 after having already filed their tax return, return to Screen W2, located under theIncomefolder, to enter the new W-2.
Please refer to the following articles from our Help & How-To Center for more info on this topic.