UltraTax CS includes robust tools to aid you in data entry. One such tool is the Tax Subject Index, which you can access by clicking the button on the UltraTax CS toolbar. The Tax Subject Index can help you do the following:
- Determine the input screen in which you should enter data for a specific subject such as “wages”
- Determine the input screen in which you should enter data for a specific form
- Find a particular input screen
- View web form instructions
Note that you must have a client’s return open to access the Tax Subject Index. Complete the following steps to use the Tax Subject Index.
- To open this dialog, click the Tax Subject Index button, enter text in the Find input for field on the UltraTax CS toolbar, or choose Tax Subject Index from the Help menu.
- Click the appropriate option to indicate whether you want to view a list of tax subjects, forms, or web form instructions.
- Type the tax subject, input screen, form name, or form instructions you want to find, or scroll through the list. Below is an example of how to search for a Tax Subject.
- When the desired item is highlighted, click the Go To button.
- If you searched for a tax subject or form, UltraTax CS takes you to the input screen in which the data for that tax subject or form should be entered.
- If you searched for form instructions, UltraTax CS automatically opens your web browser and displays the instructions for the selected form. Note that you need to have Adobe Reader installed to use this option.
Refer to the following related articles in our Help & How-To Center for more info on this topic.
- Tax Subject Index dialog – includes a free 4.5 minute demo on how to use this tool
- Determining where to enter data on input screens and forms