The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) enables you to make client federal tax payments electronically – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Funds move electronically from the taxpayer’s account to the federal government’s account, and the taxpayer’s IRS records are automatically updated for each payment. Here’s how to set up your firm to use EFTPS:
Register as a Batch Filer
First, download and install the batch provider software from EFTPS.gov. You’ll need this software to transmit client enrollment and payment files. The software will guide you through the Batch filer registration process. Once the batch filer registration process is complete, you’ll receive EFTPS Batch Filer ID and Master Inquiry PIN numbers to use when creating enrollment and payment files.
Get Authorization from Your Clients
Since you’ll be entering and submitting payments on behalf of your clients, you’ll need to get authorization from each client before you submit their EFTPS enrollment information. This requires sending form 8655 (IRS Reporting Agent Authorization) to the IRS for each client. Download the form.
Enroll Your Clients
You only need to enroll each client once.
- Choose Actions > Enroll > EFTPS
- Click the Setup button at the bottom of the screen and enter your firm’s nine-digit Batch Filer ID and four-digit Master Inquiry PIN, then click OK. You only need to perform this step once.
- Verify that the Add Clients option is marked at the top of the window. The grid will show all clients that have not yet been enrolled to use EFTPS. The application assumes that all clients without a taxpayer PIN are not enrolled.
- When you’re ready to create the enrollment files, mark the checkboxes next to the appropriate client record(s) and click the Create Files button. The application will create a single enrollment file for all selected records.
Note: Enrollment files are stored in the file location specified at the bottom of the screen. This location can be modified by going to Setup > File Locations, clicking the File Creation tab, and modifying the EFTPS file location.
- Once the enrollment file has been created, you’ll transmit it using the EFTPS Batch Provider software that you downloaded when you registered as a batch filer.
- After receiving the enrollment confirmation for your client(s), choose Setup > Vendors and locate the 940 and/or 941/943/945 vendor(s).
- Click Edit. In the Payment Preferences section on the Main tab, select EFTPS as the payment method from the Method field and enter the client’s EFTPS PIN number in the EFTPS PIN field.
Create Your EFTPS Payment Files
- Print the liabilities from the Payroll Liabilities tab of the File > Print Checks screen.
- Choose Actions > Process EFTPS. All files awaiting EFTPS file creation for all clients are listed in the grid.
- Mark the checkbox(es) for the transactions to be included in the EFTPS file.
Note: Accounting CS will create a single payment file for all selected transactions. To create a separate payment file for each client, mark only the checkboxes for a single client prior to creating the file.
- Click the Create Files button.
Note: Payment files are stored in the file location specified at the bottom of the screen. You can modify this file location by choosing Setup > File Locations.
- If necessary, click the Manage Files button to preview or recreate the file.
- Once you’ve created the payment files, transmit them using the EFTPS Batch Provider software.