It’s easy to share data from Accounting CS or CS Professional Suite Accounting (CSA) with UltraTax CS. This reduces the need for manual data entry and makes processing of 1040 tax returns much faster. You can share data for W-2, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, and 1099-INT forms.
Before you begin using data sharing, it’s a good idea to review and verify the following setup information in each application:
In Accounting CS:
- Choose Setup > File Locations and specify the data locations for your firm’s other CS Professional Suite applications.
- Verify that data sharing is enabled. Go to the Preferences tab of the Setup > Firm Information > Firm screen.
- Data sharing of W-2 and 1099 information cannot occur until the W-2s and 1099s for the client have been printed from Accounting CS. To do this, open the client in Accounting CS and print (not merely preview) the W-2s and 1099s by choosing Actions > Process Payroll Tax Forms.
- Choose Setup > User Preferences, click the File Locations tab, and verify that all of your client data locations are entered correctly. The UltraTax CS data path field is critical for sharing W-2 and 1099 data.
Note: An easy way to find the client data path for each application in the CS Professional Suite is to choose Help > Repair from the menu bar in that application. You can highlight and copy the client data path indicated there and then paste it into the File Locations field in the User Preferences dialog in CSA. For example: C:WINCSIUTyyDATA (where yy represents the year of your UltraTax CS software).
- Verify that data sharing is enabled globally. Choose Setup System > Configuration > Administration, click the Data Sharing tab, and mark the Enable Data Sharing checkbox.
Note: Data sharing of W-2 and 1099 information cannot occur until the W-2s and 1099s for the client have been printed from CSA. To do this, open the client’s database in CSA and print (not merely preview) the W-2s and 1099s by choosing Utilities > W-2 Form Processing > 2013 or Utilities > 1099 Form Processing > 2013 (or you can use the global form processing commands).
In UltraTax CS:
- Choose Setup > User Preferences, click the File Locations tab, click the option for CS Accounting Products, and verify that the file locations are listed correctly for each application – for both the program files and the client data.
- Verify that data sharing is enabled. Choose Setup > System Configuration, click the Data Sharing tab, and mark the Allow use of the data sharing feature checkbox.
- Open the client’s tax return in UltraTax CS, click the Income folder, open Screen W-2 or Screen 1099R, and enter the client’s EIN. The Data Sharing dialog will open and prompt you to accept any updates to the client data.
- If you’ve already printed the payroll forms and need to re-populate the data sharing files for any reason, you can save paper by reprinting the W-2 and 1099 forms to FileCabinet CS, by choosing Print to File, or by using another paperless option such as Microsoft® Document Writer. That would be sufficient to trigger the data sharing updates to the W-2 and 1099 amounts.
- If necessary, you can disable data sharing for all clients or for a single client.