Tips to help you process W-2s more efficiently this tax season.
Before you process your W-2s:
- Register with the Social Security Administration (SSA). You must register to use the SSA’s Business Services Online before you can file W-2s electronically. For more information, visit the SSA website at www.ssa.gov/employer.
- Make sure every employee’s information is entered in Accounting CS. To enter employee information, choose Setup > Employees. Enter each employee’s name, Social Security number, address, city, state, and ZIP code.
- Verify each employee’s Social Security number. You’ll find details on SSN/TIN verification in our Help & How-To Center.
- Generate an Employee List-Detailed report, marking the Personal Information checkbox in the Regions to Include section. This report makes it easy to spot missing employee personal information.
- Generate a Payroll Tax Summary report to verify taxable wages and tax withholding information. In the Date section, select Current year (or Prior Year, if applicable) as the period to process.
- Generate an Employee Earnings report to identify missing W-2 information. In the Regions to Include section, mark the Missing/Invalid W-2 information checkbox. This will list any missing, duplicate, or invalid Social Security numbers at the end of the report.
- Enter your firm and staff information. Your firm’s EIN/SSN must be entered in the Setup > Firm Information > Firm screen, and the ID, name, and Social Security number for at least one staff member must be entered in the Setup > Firm Information > Staff screen.
- Set up each clientfor electronic W-2 processing. Here are the steps you’ll need to perform for each client:
- Choose Setup > Clients. On the Main tab, click the Ellipsis (…) button in the Additional Contacts section. Then, add the contact information for the W-2s and mark the Payroll form signer checkbox.
- Click the Payroll Taxes tab.
- In the Federal W-2 grid in the Forms section, select Internet for the filing method for Copy A/W-3.
- Click the Additional Information button and enter the other EIN, if any, as well as the signature and contact person.
- Click Enter to save the changes.
When you’re ready to process your W-2s
Here’s how to process W-2 forms electronically:
- Choose Actions > Process Payroll Tax Forms.
- Select W-2 from the Form type drop-down list, select the year to process, and click the Refresh button.
- In the Form Selection section, specify the clients for which you want to process W-2s.
- Click the Process Selected button to print the selected W-2s. Repeat as needed for all clients.
- Choose Actions > Process Internet/Magnetic Files. Click the Transmitter Information button.
- In the General section of the Transmitter dialog, select a file contact from the drop-down list. (The list is populated from data entered in the Setup > Firm Information > Staff screen).
- In the Federal W-2 section, enter the user ID that you received from the SSA after registration and click OK.
- We recommend that you verify the data in your file by using SSA’s AccuWage program. You can download that software for free by browsing to http://www.ssa.gov/employer/accuwage/. Once downloaded, you can open AccuWage and select to run your W2Report file through the application.
- Select the W-2 file and click the Create Files button to send the file to the location displayed in the File Location field.
- Browse to the SSA website and upload the newly-created file.
Note: You can enter employee earnings into the program in several different ways. For W-2 only clients, enter year-to-date checks for employees in the Actions > Enter Transactions screen or in the Actions > Edit payroll tax forms screen (making sure that W-2 is selected as the form type). Then enter employee year-to-date information in the Employee Data tab.