In Accounting CS, you can use account segments to define the client’s Chart of Accounts. Examples of account segments include locations, departments, divisions, units, funds, projects, cost centers, activities, and so forth. This enables you to closely track each division and gives you a more complete picture of client accounts.
To set up Account segments in an existing Chart of Accounts mask:
- Choose Setup > Account Segments
- Verify that the correct client is selected in the client selection field in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the Description field, enter a unique segment description up to 50 characters in length.
- Enter the mask for the segment using only the following characters. Note that all characters in the segment must be the same (For example, XXX or ####).
Symbol Character A Alpha characters only # Numeric characters only X Any character, separator, or space
- In the Codes grid, enter all potential account codes and their descriptions associated with this segment. The codes you enter in this grid will be available for selection in the Select Code Dialog.
- Click Enter to save the account segment.
To add account segments “on the fly” as you are setting up a new Chart of Accounts mask:
- Choose Setup > Clients, select the client, and click the Edit button.
- Click the Account Mask tab.
- In the Chart of Accounts mask grid, enter a unique name in the Segment column and then enter an appropriate mask for the segment.
- If desired, select a color for the segment and add a separator.
- Click Enter to save the mask. Accounting CS will add the unique segment to the Setup > Account Segments screen.
For additional information on changing from a non-segmented Chart of Accounts to a segmented Chart of Accounts, see this topic in the Help & How-To Center.