Source Document Processing is a fee-based feature available to all Workpapers CS users. It automatically organizes scanned workpapers into a labeled, bookmarked PDF. You can then use the Organize Source Documents feature in the Workpapers Dashboard to split each workpaper into an individual PDF. Source Document Processing can then automatically place those individual PDFs into separate folders based on the folder structure of the UltraTax CS or GoSystem Tax RS source binder. You can also choose to manually place the individual PDFs into the correct folders.
Here’s how to use Source Document Processing:
- Insert a PDF into the Source Document Processing folder using one of the following methods:
- Drag and drop from another location in the Engagement Binders Tree or from a local or network drive that is accessible from the workstation.
- Select a folder location from the Workpaper Properties screen of the Add Workpaper wizard when you are scanning or adding an external document.
- Right-click the source document processing folder and choose Transmit/Retrieve.
Note: You can display the current status of the process by right-clicking on the Source Document Processing folder and choosing Transmit/Retrieve during document processing. While processing is underway, Accounting CS will display the source document icon with a lock. Status items displayed in this screen include:
- The number of new source documents successfully transmitted.
- The number of existing source documents currently being processed.
- The number of source documents successfully retrieved.
- The number of errors encountered during transmit/retrieve.
- When a document has been successfully retrieved back into the engagement binder, its status will change to “Waiting to organize.” Right-click the document and choose “Organize Source Documents.” This will automatically split the file into individual PDFs and organize them based on the folder structure you’ve specified.
- If you’ve created the engagement binder based on the folder structure of an UltraTax CS or GoSystem Tax RS source-binder, Source Document Processing will automatically organize the individual PDFs based on that folder structure. For example, a PDF that contains miscellaneous income-related information (1099s) will be placed in the Income folder.
- If you have not set up the engagement binder based on the folder structure of an UltraTax CS or GoSystem Tax RS source-binder, Source Document Processing will insert the individual PDFs at the base-binder level, just below the engagement briefcase so that you can manually distribute them to the correct folders.