Complete Payroll Output (CPO) is a feature that provides easy, one-click printing of payroll checks, liabilities, reports, and billing invoices for selected clients. CPO runs in the background while you continue to work on other tasks, with no pop-up prompts to verify or determine print settings or status. This enables you to maximize efficiency, but it also means that setup is essential to getting the most out of using this feature.
Setting Up the Complete Payroll Output Monitor Portlet
We’ve created a portlet that you can use to track the processing status of a complete payroll output. Information displayed on the portlet includes the time processing was started, the staff person who started it, the number of clients being processed, and the status of the processes. Here’s how to set it up.
- Click the Staff Dashboard button in the toolbar.
- Click the Select Portlets link in the upper-right portion of the screen.
- In the Select Portlets dialog, mark the Complete Payroll Output Monitor checkbox and click OK.
- See Working with portlets in our Help & How-To Center to learn how to rearrange and resize dashboard portlets. If you use multiple monitors, you can even undock the portlet and move it to another monitor, allowing you to track the status of processing while continuing to work on your primary monitor.
Selecting a Default Report Profile to Use with Complete Payroll Output
When you run a Complete Payroll Output, Accounting CS Payroll automatically prints payroll reports for the selected clients using any client-specific report options that you have saved. However, you’ll need to select a default firm-level report profile to use with clients that do not have a client-specific report profile. Here’s how to do so:
- Choose Setup > Firm Information > Firm and click the Payroll Automation tab.
- In the Payroll Output section, select the report profile you want to use when printing a Complete Payroll Output. The report profile field contains all report profiles that have been set up for your firm.
- Click Enter to save the selection.
Note: If the report options within a profile have been modified at the client level, those client-level options are used for those clients. See Working with report profiles in our Help & How-To Center for more information about setting up firm-level and client-level report profiles.
Setting Up Various Firm and Client Processing Preferences
The Complete Payroll Output feature processes all selected clients at one time, but it uses the firm-level and client-level settings that you’ve previously set up for each client.
Note the following information prior to printing a Complete Payroll Output:
- Non-funded (or non-impounded) liabilities created during the printing process are printed as checks or as direct deposit payments. They are paid using the payroll date as the payment date. Accounting CS Payroll will also print any applicable payment coupons for state tax liability payments.
- Funded (or impounded) liabilities created during the printing process are created in the Manage Impound Payments screen to be funded at a later time.
- Checks being sent to the portal for remote check printing will not be affected by selections made in the Checks tab of the Print dialog.
- The reports that print for each client will use the report profile specified in the Payroll Automation tab of the Firm screen. Any client-specific customizations to this firm report profile will print for that client during the Complete Payroll Output.
- Billing invoices will use the invoice layout currently selected for the firm in the File > Print Billing Invoices screen.
- If the client setup specifies that fees should be created with final status (in the Billing tab of the Clients screen), the appropriate liability will be generated and no invoice will be printed for that client.
Printing a Complete Payroll Output
- Choose File > Print Checks and mark the checkboxes for the appropriate payroll or vendor checks. For the Complete Payroll Output button to be active, you must select at least one payroll check.
- Click the Complete Payroll Output button to open the combined output print dialog, which contains tabbed pages for each output type: checks, reports, billing invoices, and payment forms.
- In the Print dialog, make your selections for each output type, then click OK to print your complete payroll output for the selected clients.