UltraTax CS allows you to create electronic extensions for Form 1040 clients on a client-by-client basis as well as for multiple clients at the same time. For info on completing this process, see Preparing 1040 returns or extensions for electronic filing in the Help & How-To Center.
To create a batch of electronic extensions, complete the following procedure.
Note: If extension information is not entered for a client in the Extension Information section in Screen ELF and/or Screen Ext, UltraTax CS automatically completes the following fields after you create electronic extensions.
- The Calculate extension field in Screen EXT in the Payments folder when the Create an extension without total tax liability or payment amounts checkbox is not marked in the Setup > 1040 Individual > Extensions button > Extensions dialog
- The File extension electronically field in Screen ELF in the Electronic Filing folder
- Choose File > Print Returns.
- Click the Extension option, and mark the Create electronic file checkbox.
- Click the Clients button, highlight the clients’ whose extensions you want to file electronically, and then click the Select button.
Tip: Hold the SHIFT or CTRL key on your keyboard to highlight multiple clients before you click the Select button.
- Click OK.
Note: To verify that the appropriate extension is selected, click the Options button on the Print Returns dialog, click the Extension Print Options tab, verify your selection, and then click OK to return to the Print Returns dialog.
- Click Print to create the electronic extension files.
- Do one of the following:
- If UltraTax CS encounters errors in an electronic return during the print process, the application generates an E-File Error Report. Correct each error and re-create the electronic file using the preceding steps.
- If UltraTax CS does not generate an E-File Error Report, continue to step 7.
- Choose Utilities> CS Connect to transmit the electronic extension files. For information on transmitting e-files via CS Connect, see Transmitting electronic returns and retrieving acknowledgments using CS Connect.
- UltraTax CS supports electronically filed extensions for Arizona, District of Columbia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Tennessee (Tennessee Interest & Dividends and Tennessee LLC), and Texas (Texas LLC).
- You cannot file an extension electronically without completing the PIN data entry unless you are filing Form 4868 without an Electronic Funds Withdrawal (direct debit).
- To access global extension options, choose Setup > 1040 Individual, click the Federal tab, and click the Extensions button. These options include setting correspondence addresses, printing the preparer’s name on Form 4868, and including the projected estimated tax penalty in the balance due on extension for federal and state returns.
Refer to the following related articles from our Help & How-To Center for more information on this topic.