The IRS permits attachment of PDF documents to e-files using the Modernized e-File (MeF) Program. You can attach documents to the following return types: 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S, 990, and 5500. Refer to IRS Publication 4164 (and Publication 4163 for business returns) for more info on PDF attachment specifications.
Follow the instructions below to attach a PDF document to an e-file in UltraTax CS.
- In the applicable return, choose Edit > Electronic Filing Attachments.
- Click Add.
- In the Product field, select Federal (or applicable state) from the drop-down list.
- In the Return field, select the form related to the return. If the specific form is not listed in the drop-down list, select Tax Return.
- Enter a descriptive name for the attachment in the Attachment title field or select the title from the drop-down list.
- If the document was scanned into FileCabinet CS, click the FileCabinet CS option, and then click the Select button to select the appropriate document. If the document was not scanned into FileCabinet CS, click the File option, and then click the Browse button to navigate to the location of the document you want to attach. When the PDF document is successfully attached, the title of the PDF document will be in the appropriate field in the Attachment file source group box.
- Click OK.
- Click View Attachment if you want to view the PDF file that will be included in the electronic file. This will verify that the document is attached to the return.
- Repeat Steps 2-7 to add more attachments.
Refer to the following articles in our Help & How-To Center: