Starting in tax year 2013, the IRS allows individual taxpayers to use a simplified option when calculating the deduction for business use of a home.
To use the simplified option, complete the following steps.
- Open the Asset tab in the applicable activity folder.
- Open the home office asset.
- Click the Home Office tab.
- Click Use simplified option to open the Simplified Home Office dialog.
- Mark the home(s) which will use the simplified calculation, as seen below.
Note: An alternate way to make the above selection is to click the Asset tab of the applicable activity, choose Setup > Activity, and select the Simplified Home Office button.
Review the following related resources for more info on this topic.