The state of Wisconsin has updated Publication 201 which outlines its sales and use tax law. In a nutshell, the changes to the publication include the following:
- Repeal of the law limiting the type of discounts given by retailers
- Revisions to the tax treatment of items provided free of charge by a retailer with the required purchase of another taxable product
- A new exemption for manufactured and modular homes
- A new exemption for advertising and promotional direct mail
- A new exemption for snowmaking and snow-grooming machines and equipment
- A new exemption for vegetable oil or animal fat that is converted into motor vehicle
- An exemption for the newly created Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
- The termination of the existing Dane County and Southeastern Regional Transit Authorities and the repeal of the authority to create the Chequamegon By and Chippewa Valley Regional Transit Authorities.
- Refunds claims are now accepted electronically
Please check the publication for varying effective dates for the above changes. It is available at http://www.revenue.wi.gov/html/taxpubs.html.
RIA News Headlines – 9/29/11