The Mississippi Department of Revenue has announced that for 2012 tax reporting, a single Annual Information Return Form 89-140 will be used for both Form W-2 wage reports and Form 1099 or W-2G non-wage income reports. The Form 89-142 used for 2011 and prior years to report 1099 information has been discontinued. For tax year 2012 forward, Mississippi will have one Annual Information Return, Form 89-140, to file all W-2s and 1099s.
The DOR on-line Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) system must be used to file Mississippi information returns and wage statements if any of the following conditions apply:
- Taxpayer is required to file W-2s, W-2Gs or 1099s electronically to the IRS (regardless of the number of Mississippi statements)
- Taxpayer has 25 or more 1099s or W-2s to Mississippi
- Taxpayer has fewer than 25 W-2s or 1099-Rs to report to Mississippi but missed the February 28 deadline for filing paper forms
- Taxpayer used a single payroll service provider for the entire calendar year, or an employee leasing company provided personnel to any business in Mississippi.
- Electronic filing to Mississippi is due March 31.
- Mississippi participates in the IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program only to satisfy 1099 reporting that does not report any Mississippi tax withheld. Forms 1099 showing Mississippi tax withheld must be reported directly to the Mississippi Department of Revenue along with the Form 89-140.