2013 UltraTax CS comes with numerous e-filing enhancements that provide you with tremendous efficiency. Following are some of the more notable improvements made to the e-filing process.
- 1040 State Electronic Filing Attachments – In 2012 UltraTax CS, you had to manually attach a nonresident state return as a PDF file to a client’s resident state return to substantiate the credit for tax paid to other states. 2013 UltraTax CS 1040 State products automatically attach the nonresident state return as a PDF file to the resident return as long as the nonresident return has been added to the client and is calculating.
- Diagnostics and Error Checking – 2013 UltraTax CS has been enhanced to include more diagnostics and error codes based on our analysis of common e-file schema rejections after the first year of transmitting 1040 returns using the Modernized e-File (MeF) system. With our more robust e-file error checking system, you can identify and correct data entry errors before transmission to avoid unnecessary delays for you and your clients. For example, last year a typo in a ZIP code field might have gone unnoticed during error checking, resulting in a rejection by the taxing agency. This year, you’ll receive a message that refers to the ZIP code and that the data is formatted improperly.
- Email Notifications – Automated email notification has been added for all business e-filed extensions in 2013 UltraTax CS. Previously, automatic email notifications for electronically filed extensions were available only for 1040 returns. To send automatic email notification of acknowledgments to a client, choose Setup > Client Communications and select the appropriate option in the Email ELF Ack column for the desired client(s). To enable automatic email notification of acknowledgments for all clients, choose Setup > Client Communications, and click the ELF Options button. You can then select when an email is generated (Never, Email address entered, or Always) and the type of return (Return or Extension).
- Form 8879 Print Options – You can print Form 8879 (or signature authorization equivalents) for all clients regardless of the signature status. You can also select to leave the signature date on Form 8879 blank, or to use the current date, when it’s not entered in Screen PIN (1040) or Screen ELF (non-1040). To set up your signature date options, choose the Setup > Office Configuration > Print Options tab.
- Form 1041 Part of the IRS Modernized e-File (MeF) Program– Form 1041 returns and associated forms and schedules will be e-filed using the IRS MeF program starting with 2013 UltraTax CS. What does this mean for you?
- You can e-file 2013 amended and superseded returns.
- All fiscal year filers can e-file.
- You can attach statements and schedules not available in XML format as PDF attachments. To attach PDF files to a return, choose Edit > Electronic Filing Attachments.
- You can electronically submit estimated tax payments with an MeF e-file submission.
Filing Season Delay
The original start date of the 2014 filing season was January 21, 2014, and with a one- to two-week delay due to the government shutdown, the IRS will start accepting and processing 2013 individual tax returns no earlier than January 28, 2014 and no later than February 4, 2014. Refer to IR-2013-82 for additional information.
Search our Help & How-To Center for product-related questions. You can access the Help & How-To Center directly from UltraTax CS by holding your CTRL key plus the letter Y. You may also click the Help button from the toolbar of UltraTax CS