Tax & Accounting Blog

T-SPLOST Sets Date For Vote

Indirect Tax, ONESOURCE, Sales and Use Tax February 8, 2012

On July 31st, 2012, voters throughout 12 districts in Georgia will be voting on whether or not to add a one-penny sales tax over a 10 year period to fund the construction of several projects throughout the state.  Throughout the last year, pollsters and campaigners have been out in a sampling of counties to gauge whether to bring the T-SPLOST (Transportation Special Local Option Sales Tax) to a state vote.  Should it pass, the tax is estimated to generate billions of dollars throughout 19 counties, with 75 percent of the funds going towards projects decided upon in the fall, and the remaining 25 percent towards other local projects.