Navigate the latest trends and emerging issues with new resources and expert guidance from Checkpoint Edge.
Stay on top of ESG developments with Checkpoint’s ESG toolkit, understand new SEC insider trading rules, and access new client memos on hot topics like ESG, inflation, and crypto assets.
Please note that access to the resources below requires a Checkpoint subscription except as otherwise stated. Not yet a subscriber? Sign up for a free 7-day trial today!
Checkpoint ESG Toolkit: Recent Additions Customers May Find Useful
Who needs to know: Small, midsize and large companies, as well as their advisors (e.g., through due diligence, advisory, consulting and assurance services).
- New SEC rules adopting amendments to insider trading reporting requirements intended to curb abuse by corporate insiders and new SEC Staff guidance urging companies to be mindful of crypto- asset-market developments when preparing business, risk-factor, and other SEC filing disclosures.
- New and/or revised GAAP content on ESG, crypto and inflation matters and new Payroll content about IRS guidance on wage and apprenticeship requirements for Inflation Reduction Act clean energy tax credits.
- SECPlus Filings Highlights covering several companies’ disclosures pertaining to shareholder calls for more tax transparency; business challenges associated with the collapse of crypto exchange FTX; and responses to SEC comments about SPAC risk-factor reporting and the impact of the Russia/Ukraine conflict on cybersecurity and non-GAAP reporting.
SEC Adopts Rules and Reporting Requirements Aimed at Curbing Abusive Insider Trading Practices
Who needs to know: Small, midsize, and large public companies, as well as with their advisors
The SEC has adopted new rules—effective July 1, 2024—intended to ramp up the information that registered investment companies currently report about their proxy votes and to make that information easier to analyze by, for example, requiring them to categorize their votes (e.g., as compensation, environment or climate, human rights or human capital/workforce, and diversity, equity and inclusion) so that shareholders can focus on topics they find important. The new rules will also require institutional investment managers to annually report how they voted proxies relating to executive compensation matters.
- Staying abreast of SEC compliance requirements can be challenging for public companies. Whether amending an existing 10b5-1 plan or adopting a new one altogether, issuers are urged to consider what controls and processes will be necessary to enable them to comply with the disclosures required under the new insider trading rules. The Checkpoint resources referenced below can help.
Checkpoint Edge resources:
SEC Changes Rules to Address Opportunistic Trading by Insiders [click here to access this article without a subscription]
SEC Accounting and Reporting Update (SARU) No. 2023-02 (January 2023)
GAAP Reporter: New and Updated Memos on ESG, Inflation, and Crypto Assets
Who needs to know: small, midsize, and large companies, as well as their advisors (e.g., through due diligence, advisory, consulting and assurance services).
GAAP Reporter has been updated to help customers with U.S. GAAP financial reporting related to ESG matters, inflation, and crypto assets (such as Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies). This includes: a) NEW client and interoffice memoranda with real-life disclosure examples from SEC filings showing how companies are discussing the impacts of ESG and inflation on their financial statements, and b) revised client and interoffice memoranda reflecting developments on accounting for ESG, inflation, and crypto assets under U.S. GAAP.
- ESG, inflation, and crypto assets are hot/emerging areas for financial reporting. Practitioners are looking for information and examples regarding how these areas affect the amounts and disclosures in US GAAP financial statements. The new and updated GAAP Reporter memos can help in preparing financial statements now (and in the future).
Checkpoint Edge resources:
Checkpoint Edge has comprehensive guidance, analysis, tools, charts, and news to help you navigate the shifting accounting, audit, and corporate finance landscape. Sign up for a free 7-day trial today!