The IRS has announced that nearly all of its Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) will extend their weekly office hours during tax season to provide taxpayers with additional help. (IR 2024-25, 1/29/2024)
The extended office hours will continue through Tuesday, April 16, 2024. To find out whether a nearby TAC is offering extended hours, taxpayers can use the Taxpayer Assistance Center Office Locator. A taxpayer uses their zip code to find local TACs. The TAC locator contains information about what services each TAC offers, the TACs extended hours, if any, a phone number and directions to the TAC.
Note. Normally, TACs are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and operate by appointment. Taxpayers can call 844-545-5640 to make an appointment at their local TAC.
During these additional office hours, TACs will offer services to walk-ins; however,
- Taxpayers who want to make cash tax payments must have an appointment, and
- Taxpayers needing a sign language or foreign language interpreter should make an appointment.
Note. Taxpayers who need in-person identity verification services must bring two forms of identification, one of which must be a current government issued photo ID.
Tax return preparation options. TACs are not providing tax return preparation services; however, qualified taxpayers can get help from the following free services:
- Eligible individuals or families can get free help with preparing their tax returns at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites.
- Individuals or families earning $79,000 adjusted gross income (AGI) or less in 2023 can use IRS Free File’s Guided Tax Software.
- Individuals and families can also prepare and file their returns electronically using IRS Free File Fillable Forms. Free File Fillable Forms are the digital equivalent of paper IRS forms and can be completed and filed online.
- For members of the military, the Department of Defense program MilTax offers free return preparation and electronic filing for up to three state returns for all military members.
For more information about VITA and TCE tax preparation services, see Checkpoint’s Federal Tax Coordinator ¶ S-1704.5.
Get all the latest tax, accounting, audit, and corporate finance news with Checkpoint Edge. Sign up for a free 7-day trial today.