Tips to help you process 1099s more efficiently this tax season.
Before you process your 1099s:
- Register with FIRE, the IRS e-filing program. For more information on the FIRE program, visit
- Set up your vendors. Choose Setup > Vendors and enter each vendor’s name, TIN, address, city, state, and ZIP code. Select “1099 Recipient” as the vendor type and select the 1099 form type and boxes on the 1099 Properties tab.
- Verify each vendor’s TIN information. You’ll find details on TIN verification in our Help & How-To Center.
- Generate a Vendor List – Detailed report to verify that each vendor’s information and totals are up to date. Mark the distributions checkbox In the Regions to Include section.
- Generate a Vendor List report to identify missing TIN information. Set the Filtering and Sorting section as shown:
- Enter your firm and staff information. Your firm’s EIN/SSN must be entered in the Setup > Firm Information > Firm screen, and the ID, name, and Social Security number for at least one staff member must be entered in the Setup > Firm Information > Staff screen.
- Set up each client for electronic 1099 processing. Follow these steps for each client:
- Choose Setup > Clients. On the Main tab click the Ellipsis (…) button in the Additional Contacts section. Enter the contact information for the 1099s and mark the Payroll form signer checkbox.
- Click the Payroll Taxes tab.
- In the Federal 1099 grid in the Forms section, select Internet as the filing method for Copy A/1096.
- Click the Additional Information button and enter the other EIN, if any, and the signature and contact person.
- Click Enter to save the changes.
When you’re ready to process your 1099s:
- Choose Actions > Process Payroll Tax Forms.
- Select 1099 from the Form type drop-down list, select the 1099 type, select the year to process, and click the Refresh button.
- In the Form Selection section, specify the form types to print.
- Click the Process Selected button.
- Choose Actions > Process Internet > Magnetic Files. Click the Transmitter Information button and then select the File contact and enter the transmitter control code you received from the IRS when you registered with the FIRE program.
- Select the 1099 file and click the Create Files button to send the file to the location displayed in the File location field.
- Browse to the IRS FIRE website and upload the newly created file.
Note: You can enter vendor totals into the program in several different ways for 1099-only clients. Enter year-to-date checks for vendors in the Actions > Enter Transactions screen or in the Actions > Edit Payroll Tax Forms screen. Then enter vendor year-to-date information in the Vendor Data tab with 1099 selected as the form type.