The Modernized e-File (MeF) system allows you to attach PDF documents to Form 1040 e-files using Edit > Electronic Filing Attachments. However, if you don’t have the documents available electronically, you can use Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file return, to mail certain paper documents to support data within a taxpayer’s e-file to the IRS.
Note: You can submit only the specified forms or supporting documents listed on Form 8453 using the form. Review Form 8453 and the instructions for which items can be attached. Mail Form 8453 along with the paper document attachments to:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254
When you don’t use Form 8453, you may be able to attach the supporting document or form to the e-file as a PDF file using Edit > Electronic Filing Attachments. For more info on which binary attachments you can attach to an e-file, refer to IRS Publication 4164.
Refer to the related articles below for more info on this topic:
- Attaching Portable Document Format (PDF) files to electronic files
- 1040 – US ELF: Form 8453 Acceptable Paper Document Attachments
- How to Include Additional Explanations with a Form 1040 E-File in UltraTax CS
- How to Suppress Automatically Attached PDFs within 1040 E-Files in UltraTax CS
- Screen 8453 – Paper Document Attachments